Shelf Village

Home Facts of The Village Walks Contacts Gallery Links

Shelf is a village in West Yorkshire, England. The village is situated halfway between Bradford and Halifax. It has a population of around 4,500. In the Doomsday Book it is called Scelf.

From 1937 to 1974, Shelf formed part of Queensbury and Shelf, an urban district in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Queensbury and Shelf consisted of the villages of Queensbury and Shelf.

The urban district was split in 1974 under Local Government Act 1972, with the Shelf part going to the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale and the rest going to the Metropolitan Borough of Bradford. Shelf is a village impacted by the Industrial Revolution and retains mill buildings along with other artefacts.

The Parish Church of Shelf is situated on the Halifax Road midway between Buttershaw and Shelf and is called St. Michael & All Saints. It was erected and endowed by the late John Hardy one of the founders of the Low Moor Company and father of the Earl of Cranbrook commonly known around the part of the county as Gaythorne Hardy and Mr Hardy, son of the late Charles Hardy in the years 1843 - 1850. It was consecrated on the 4th June 1850 by Charles Thomas, Lord Bishop of Ripon. Near to the chancel is affixed a brass plate to commemorate this event. The church consist of a nave, aisles, north porch, organ chamber and a turret containing two bells. The east and west windows are stained and there is a beautiful stone font. An organ was erected in the church in 1858 and a new organ chamber was constructed in 1880. In 1896 the church and was re-roofed. The stone slates being taken off and replaced with blue slates put in their place owing the stone slates being too heavy. The church was thoroughly restored at the same time.

The first Sunday School belonging to the church in Shelf was held at what used to be the old saw mill belonging to Shelf Old Iron Works, now converted into cottages until the erection of the National School.


   The following facts were taken from a book :-   “Illustrated History of ……”      Wibsey, Low Moor, Oakenshaw, Wike, Norwood Green, Judy Brig, Royds Hall, Coley and Shelf.                                                    By: James Parker, Great Horton. Published about 1909    

Shelf Church Stocks at Shelf

This ancient landmark was first erected at Stone Chair close to the old mile stone by the Parish Constable of Shelf, Northowram and Hipperholme, in the year 1607, and was re-erected there in 1860. Since then they have been removed to their present position Windmill Hill, Lower Shelf. They are now at the junction of Coley Road and the Brighouse & Denholme Gate Road.

See photo’ in Walks Routes (Walk One)